The Schirm Project

This blog will discuss my journey with the Peace Corps in teaching English in Turkmenistan as well as my development an annual sports camp for youth. The views that are depicted here are soley mine and do not reflect the views of the Peace Corps or its staff.

Name:
Location: Denver, CO, United States

I'm a fiancee soon to be husband, an RPCV from Turkmenistan and a former Public Affairs professional. I started the Foreign Service process in March 2010 and am currently on the registry for the Public Diplomacy tract. I am happy to help any and all people that have questions about my experiences.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas in Tstan

Salaam Men dostumlar. Taze Yyl we Novy gut! (Hello everyone and happy holidays)

I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that the holidays are coming here and its good to be around the other Americans. We put on a mini X-mas celebration here in Ashgabat equipped with a visit from Santa and a reading of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. After that we all watched Love Actually in the main room of the hotel. Great movie, I know now that when the guy is trying to speak Portugeuse the pains that he is feeling as well as the mistakes. I heard this week that after we get to site that we will have intensive language training for the next month and then we are given a monthly allowance for tutoring. It will be interesting to see how it goes when I am studying two languages at that the same time. However, I am completely confident that I have one of the best counterparts that I could ask for. I have a smart middle aged, opinonated, driven Russian woman by the name of Albina. I Can definetly tell that we will be able to get a lot of things done. I think the hard part will be getting the programs that I want to develop turn into sustainable programs. All of my ideas will work around the idea of being questioning about the world around you and finding ways to let other people within the community know about the things that they need to. Some of the ideas are a journalism club, a debate training team for two competitions in the beginning of march, an improv acting club, a frisbee club, and hopefull later on next year a baseball/football club. One of the major ideas that I need to do some more development on is looking into starting an Odyssey of the Mind Club. In addition I am definetly going to be working with some of the local health volunteers to develop an HIV/Sexual Education Campaign. I still need to figure out exactly what the needs of the community will be and who I can get involved with.

It is absolutely fantastic to hear from all of you either via letter or email. Especially this time of year, for those that have written I hope you do and for those that have thank you so much. There is a great sense of not be forgotten in the states while you are here. I will officially be sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer tommorrow. I can honestly say that I dont think that I have been so ready to be done with anything in my whole life as much as training to be done. However, the great thing is that the fun is just beggining. I hope to tell you all about it as soon as possible.

Peace, Love, and Happy Holidays

Chris