The Schirm Project

This blog will discuss my journey with the Peace Corps in teaching English in Turkmenistan as well as my development an annual sports camp for youth. The views that are depicted here are soley mine and do not reflect the views of the Peace Corps or its staff.

Name:
Location: Denver, CO, United States

I'm a fiancee soon to be husband, an RPCV from Turkmenistan and a former Public Affairs professional. I started the Foreign Service process in March 2010 and am currently on the registry for the Public Diplomacy tract. I am happy to help any and all people that have questions about my experiences.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Hiking the Chuli Mountains

This week we had one of the most serene experiences since we have been here. With the Gokje volunteers we got on a bus and headed toward the mountains close to the village of Chuli.

We took a 5 mile hike up into the mountains, once we got to the top of a ridge about 4 miles into the hike we stopped and lunch of spinach and pumpkin gotap (close to a fried pie with pumpkin or spinach in it). The scene was absolutely amazing. There were four seperate mountain ranges that surrounded us as we sat on top of the ridge. Later on in the afternoon two seperate cloud covers began to descend on the valley that we sat. I have an amazing picture of one of our volunteers Rachel, sitting on a ridge journaling as a cloud cover came over the mountains. I will try and send the pic stateside as soon as I get the chance, perhaps Mom and Dad or Erin will be able to post the pic to this blog when they get it.

Now a week from finding out where I will be for the next two years it was a great time to contemplate and gather my thoughts for the coming weeks. Next Sunday I will be loading up my pack for a weeks trip to my host site. I dont know where I will be yet, but I will let you all now as soon as possible. Until X-mas the same address in Ashgabat will work.

I hope this post finds you all well and please keep the letters and packages coming I love hearing from all of you.