The Schirm Project

This blog will discuss my journey with the Peace Corps in teaching English in Turkmenistan as well as my development an annual sports camp for youth. The views that are depicted here are soley mine and do not reflect the views of the Peace Corps or its staff.

Name:
Location: Denver, CO, United States

I'm a fiancee soon to be husband, an RPCV from Turkmenistan and a former Public Affairs professional. I started the Foreign Service process in March 2010 and am currently on the registry for the Public Diplomacy tract. I am happy to help any and all people that have questions about my experiences.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Communications for the next three months

Communication while I am in training

I have found the address that I can be contacted at for the next three months. Mail will most likely take two to three weeks to arrive in Turkmenistan. So I am giving you all the address that I can be contacted at, so you can start writing letters now if you would like. While I know that the first part of the time that I am there will be fast paced and filled with tastes, sights, and feelings that I have never had before I cannot wait to hear from you on what is going on here in the states. If I can make one request and that is to number your letters, so I will know if one doesn't arrive.

I cannot wait to hear your words while I am in Turkmenistan and I look forward to telling you all about what I am experiencing as much as possible. So without further adieu here is my address for the next three months.

PCT Chris Schirm
U.S. Peace Corps/Turkmenistan
PO Box 258 Krugozor
Central Post Office
Ashgabat, 744000
TURKMENISTAN

If you are shipping something larger than a letter here are some helpful hints that will help the package arrive safely and timely to Turkmenistan.

1) put "Airmail" and "Par Avion via Istanbul" on the outside of the package/envelope. It is safer and quicker for mail to come through Turkey as opposed to Moscow, which is the default route.

2) Use padded envelopes whenever possible. It is standard practice for all boxes to be examined at the airports as well as at the Central Post Office in Asghabat.

Around December I will get a new address once I find out what my permanent address is going to be while I am doing my project. I look forward to hearing from all of you soon.

Sincerely,
Chris