The Schirm Project

This blog will discuss my journey with the Peace Corps in teaching English in Turkmenistan as well as my development an annual sports camp for youth. The views that are depicted here are soley mine and do not reflect the views of the Peace Corps or its staff.

Name:
Location: Denver, CO, United States

I'm a fiancee soon to be husband, an RPCV from Turkmenistan and a former Public Affairs professional. I started the Foreign Service process in March 2010 and am currently on the registry for the Public Diplomacy tract. I am happy to help any and all people that have questions about my experiences.

Friday, March 03, 2006

On my way to Almaty

Hi everybody,

Happy Peace Corps Day everybody (March 1st)! On this day in 1965, JFK made his famous speech of “ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country,” and started Peace Corps. The very first country that had PCVs was Ghana, on the west coast of Africa. Anyways, this morning we had ambassadors from the US, Pakistan, Afghanistan, UK, and Georgia show up as well as numerous directors
of NGOs to help us celebrate and learn about the start of Peace Corps.

I have fantastic news! Today I found out that I was selected to a Pre-Departure Orientation Leader for the (Future Leaders Exchange) FLEX students. Basically what this means is that another volunteer and me well be preparing and orientating around 60 kids for their departure to the U.S. to study for a year. One of the best things about this, apart from the enormous amount of fun and hard work it will take, is that I get to travel to the FLEX PDO conference. The conference will be held in the middle of April in Almaty, Kazakhstan. The actual conference itself will be for three days and then I will have four days to travel around Almaty and hopefully the rest of Kazakhstan. Since I don’t speak Kazak, I guess that means that I will have to practice my Russian. I AM SO AMPED about this opportunity.

I was very surprised when I found out that they chose me to do the PDO because usually they pick volunteers that has been around the country for a while. I think one of the major reasons that I was chosen was because I have a lot of experience in
doing this sort of thing (Summer Welcome, Generation Ogilvy etc.) and the fact that I get along very well with the country director of the organization that runs the FLEX program.

I am excited and a little bit nervous about all of the work that I have ahead of me. I only hope that I can balance all of the work with the PDO as well as my work at the American Corner. I still have to tell my counterpart that I got the
position and let her know the amount of the work that I will have to do.

Hope to hear from you all soon. Please let me know what you are up
to.

Peace
Chris